Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana)
Swarna Prashana also known as Swarna bindu prashan is an unique Ayurvedic preparation that is known to enhance the immune power of human body. Swarna means gold and Prashana refers to act of consuming. The act of consuming noble metal gold “SwarnaPrashana (SuvarnaPrashana)” is considered as one of the 16 essential Sanskars (regimens) described for improving overall health in children. According to Ayurveda our body needs to get right nourishment to support proper physical and mental development that can sustain till the old age. Swarna Prashan is therefore recommended to be taken immediately after birth and continued till the age of 16 years. Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) is made using swarna bhasma (gold ash) mixed with honey and cow ghee containing herbal extracts like vacha, brahmi, shankupushpi,all of which show strong immune boosting properties.
What are the health benefits of SwarnaPrashana (SuvarnaPrashana)?
The health benefits of Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) are explained in an ancient classic textbook called “Kashyapa Samhita.” According to Ayurvedic texts Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) shows following benefits.
1. Boosts Immune system
Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) contains pure gold in the form of ash and some other herbs that are known to enhance the immune power of the body. Infants and children up to the age of 5 years have a low Immunity and hence are vulnerableto infections. Administration of Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) in recommended doses can help to build a strong Immunity and reduce chances of common infections such as cough, cold and fever.
2. Enhances Memory
Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) can improve attention and the grasping power in children. It is also known to enhance the memory. Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) seems to be very important for improving brain health in children.
3. Improves Digestion
Swarna Prashan accelerates the process of digestion and hence improves the absorption of essential nutrients from food. Many children often suffer from gastric discomfort and reduced appetite. Swarna Prashan improves appetite and thus promotes healthy body growth.
4. Nourishes the skin
Good skin is a sign of good health. Swarna Prashan expels the unwanted toxins from the body causing total body de-toxification. It also improves the blood circulation which further results in improved skin texture and imparts glow to the skin.
5. Reduces mental agitation
Swarna Prashan can effectively reduce temper and tantrums. Due to its calming effects on mind, Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) seems extremely beneficial in children with special needs such as autism, learning difficulties, attention deficit disorder and hyper activity.
6. Improves hearing and vision
Swarna Prashan is known to improve the sense of hearing and vision.
7. Improves overall physical and mental health
Swarna Prashan improves the blood circulation in the body and also stimulates the nervous system, thereby leading to overall good physical and Mental Health.
What Does Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) Contain?
Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) is a unique combination of swarna bhasma (gold ash) mixed with honey and ghee that is fortified with arka, an herbal extracts like vacha, brahmi, shankupushpi, etc.
How Does It Work?
1. Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) contains gold as the main ingredient. It is made into suvarna bhasma through a special process because gold cannot be consumed in its metallic form. Gold is known to boost Immunity as well as enhance memory. Another important ingredient present in Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana) is the honey. Honey is prepared by collection of pollen grains. Since pollen grains are known to cause allergic reactions,
2. consumption of honey in very low doses is believed to gradually prepare the body to fight against other allergens. Honey is also known to act against inflammation and improve digestion.
3. Ghee or Ghrita which is the third important component of Swarna Prashana (Suvarna Prashana), acts as an effective medium in which herbal medications can be prepared. Ghee or Ghrita shows unique properties of acquiring the medicinal values of herbs added to it.
Who Should Have SwarnaPrashana (SuvarnaPrashana) ?
Swarna Prashna can be given to anyone aged 0 to 16 years. It can be taken daily for a period of 30 days or can be taken specifically on the pushya nakshatra.
Swarna Prashan can be given every day as per the below chart –
Infants to 6 moths – 1 Drop every day
6 moths to 2years – 2 Drops every day
2 years to 16 years – 5 Drops every day
When to take:
1. On an empty stomach preferably in the morning
2. Do not have food at least for 30 minutes after consumption of swarnaprashan
Importance of Pushya Nakshatra For Swarna Prashna
It is recommended that Swarna Prashna should be taken on pushya nakshatra. Pushya refers to nourishment and pushya nakshatra is one of the most auspicious of the 27 nakshatras. The symbol of pushya nakshtra is the cow udder. If observed on the pushya nakshatra, the stars in the sky appear in an arrangement that that creates cow udder. Cow udder is associated with nourishment and so the Swarna Prashna is taken on pushya nakshatra to get optimum nourishment and benefits. Swarna Prashna can be consumed on any other day, however, the efficacy can vary and it may not be as effective as pushya nakshatra.