SOXHLET EXTRACTION APPARATUS
soxhlet extractor is a laboratory apparatus for the extraction of lipids and other molecules from a solid sample
Extracting the active principles from the samples.
• Assemble the apparatus.
• Fill the round bottom flask with solvent (n-Hexane).
• Put the thimble containing sample into extraction tube.
• Attach the extraction tube with flask containing solvent.
• Attach a condenser unit with the extraction tube and run the water.
• Fix the soxhlet apparatus on hot plate and heat the flask containing solvent.
• The solvent starts to evaporate and falls in the extraction tube after condensing.
• Continue this process till all the fat is extracted.
• Discontinue the process and take out the thimble.
• Again attach the extraction tube with flask containing solvent along with fat and condenser unit.
• Again heat the flask to recover the solvent.
• Discontinue the process and clean the extraction tube and thimble.
A heating mantle is a piece of laboratory equipment used to apply heat to containers, as an alternative to other forms of heated bath.
Extraction of solutions and Distillation of solutions will come under this procedure.
• Switch on the heating mantle.
• Set the temperature.
• Place the sample in the round bottom flask.
• Higher voltages will cause it to overheat, melt the fiberglass insulation and expose the bare heating element.
• The heating mantle has an outer metal case that provides physical protection against damage to the fiberglass.